Class syllabus

Digital Photo I

Mr. SEAN SHIPLEY, Art Teacher   Room D-215  sshipley@pths209.org

CLASS WEBSITE/Daily Objectives: https://pwhsphoto1.edublogs.org/

The primary objectives of the Art Department are to encourage students to develop individual expression in the fine and applied arts, to stimulate their curiosity regarding the world around them, and to make them aware that individuals can either beautify or spoil their environment.

This course focuses on the elements and principles of design and composition through digital photography, photo editing and digital imaging. Skills and knowledge are further developed through art criticism, art history (particularly pertaining to photography), and aesthetics by looking at art by other students and artists.  The student will create a digital portfolio project using PowerPoint throughout semester and the completed digital portfolio will act as the Final Exam.

TEXT:   Art Talk and Foundations of Art (You are NOT required to check out from the Bookroom.)

SUPPLIES NEEDED: A storage area will be provided in class for all supplies

2 pencils with erasers / digital camera with cord and batteries(SUGGESTED but not required) /OTHER supplies will be loaned to student for their use and MUST be returned or they will be placed on obligations

CLASSROOM RULES:

1. RESPECT: yourself, your peers, your teacher and your classroom.
  2. RESPONSIBILITY: yourself, your work and your classroom.
  3. THE NO’S: follow all school rules.
  4. HAVE FUN: enjoy your work and time.

CLASSROOM EXPECTATIONS: The following is a list that goes along with the rules stated above:

1. Attend classes regularly and on time
  2. Listen while the teacher is giving directions
  3. Complete each assignment to the best of your ability with good craftmanship
  4. Complete classwork when assigned
  5. Hand in your work on time
  6. Improve your work when directed by teacher
  7. Clean up daily
  8. Be responsible for the supplies/cameras loaned to you

ATTENDANCE POLICY: Attendance is part of the grade for each project and for the class grade.   Attendance can cause failure if it becomes excessive.  Parents should be using the access from the district website and PowerSchool to monitor their student’s attendance and progress.  Students are responsible for acquiring and completing all work missed from excused absences.  NO make-up time will be given for unexcused absences.

DISMISSAL:  Students will remain in their seats until the bell rings.  Class will be dismissed each day by the teacher NOT by the bell.  If all stations are ready the class will be dismissed otherwise, students will be detained until their station is neatly cleaned up.

The following Illinois State Goals are required standard learning for High School Students.

STATE GOAL 25:  Know the language of the Arts.

STATE GOAL 26:  Through creating and performing, understand how works of art are produced.

STATE GOAL 27:   Understand the role of the arts in civilization, past and present.

CLASS PROCEDURES: 

Projects are assigned typically on Monday and are due on Friday.  Students must use part of the week to take photos (in class), download, edit, upload to Artsonia website and turn in with their self-critique. 100 points (Projects Weighted 60%)

Classwork is assigned every other week.  They are typically assigned on Monday and are due by end of class Friday.  Some assignments will include creation of posters or powerpoints to be made and presented by the students. 100 points. (Classwork Weighted 20%)

FaPs come in sets of three.  The teacher will demonstrate and provide the photos that need to be fixed typically on every other Tuesday (opposite of the classwork).  Students must correct the pictures using all knowledge to that point in class. 100 points. (Classwork Weighted 20%)

Class Critiques will start a couple weeks into class.  These will typically be at the beginning of class Tuesday (should not take the entire period).  Students will first talk about famous works, then old student work, other classes work and then move into talking about each other’s. 100 points. (Participation Weighted 20%)

Bellringers are to be done in the first 5 minutes of class. Mostly they contain review questions.  Although they are not worth a lot of points, continually not doing them can drastically affect your grade. 10 points a day, graded at the end of the week. (Participation Weighted 20%)

PROJECT LIST:

All projects include the completion of preliminary assignments.  Each will have specific uses of materials and methods utilized by students.

1. DAILY Bellringers (Participation Weighted 20%)
  2. Pinwheel’s For Peace (Fall Semester only) (Participation Weighted 20%)
  3. Fix-a-Pic assignments (Classwork Weighted 20%)
  4. Self-Critiques (Projects Weighted 60%)
  5. Line and Pattern project (Projects Weighted 60%)
  6. Shape and Texture project (Projects Weighted 60%)
  7. Variety-Different View project (Projects Weighted 60%)
  8. Quarter Exam (Classwork Weighted 20%)
  9. Value and Bracketing project (Projects Weighted 60%)
  10. Blurred Movement project (Projects Weighted 60%)
  11. Andy Warhol project (Projects Weighted 60%)
  12. Mirror Images project (Projects Weighted 60%)
  13. My Vacation project (Projects Weighted 60%)
  14. Semester Assignment (Projects Weighted 60%)
  15. Notes/Textbook assignments – done in class (Classwork Weighted 20%)
  16. Digital PowerPoint Portfolio for a Final Exam (Classwork Weighted 20%)
  17. Common Interim Assessments (part of Pre-Test, Quarter Exam and Final Exam)

Not all projects will be assigned if time does not permit. Late projects will be accepted with a 10-point deduction per week up to 50 points.

100-90= A

89-80= B

79-70= C

69-60= D

59-0= F  Grades of 0 denotes the notes were never turned in for grading, otherwise 50 points will be the lowest grade.

Self Critiques:  Self crits are questions the student must answer about their own work.  Self-crits are turned in on the computer when the project is complete. Self crits are worth 10 points of each project which is 10% of every project. (Projects Weighted 60%)

EVALUATION:

Each project will be graded by a specific criteria noted in the rubric provided with the assignment:

Grade Scale

A = 100 – 90

B = 89 – 80

C = 79 – 70

D = 69 – 60

F = 59 – 50

Final Grade ___/100   A grade of 0 denotes the projects was not turned in for credit, otherwise 50 will be the lowest points for a project.

All grades are weighted: Particpation is 20%, Classwork is 20% and Projects are 60% of the quarter grades.

1st / 3rd Quarter = 2/5 of your grade 40%

2nd / 4th Quarter = 2/5 of your grade 40%

Final Exam = 1/5 of your grade 20%

STUDENT NAME________________________________________

STUDENT SIGNATURE___________________________________

PARENT/GUARDIAN SIGNATURE________________________________

I accept responsibility for the school cameras when they are in my possession.  I will pay for any damage caused by me or be put on obligation for the charges.  I understand that being on obligation can inhibit me from graduating or transferring schools if I do not pay them.  I will check out the camera at the end of the day and return it by the next morning, unless I am ill in which case I will email Mr. Shipley (sshipley@pths209.org.) in order to inform him that I will not be able to return the camera that day.

I have read and agree to the terms above.

________________ (student signature)

I have read and understand my child is responsible for loss or damage to school cameras.

________________ (parent/guardian signature)

Click link below to download a printable copy of the syllabus.

DigitalPhoto1-Syllabus17-18

Click link below to download a viewable copy of the syllabus powerpoint.

PHOTO I Syllabus powerpoint